Celebrating Red, White & Blue the Green Way
Did you know that last year, more than 81 million people participated in an Independence Day cookout? As Americans prepare for the July 4th holiday, Walter P Moore's Green Team has prepared some tips for celebrating a bit moore sustainably...
- Prepare large containers of drinks rather than individual cans/bottles.
Use a pitcher of water from your fridge rather than buying water bottles. Same goes for lemonade and iced tea!
- Label cups with markers or chalkboard stickers for reuse.
For moore creative ideas, see: Labeling Drinks at a Party.
- Save leftovers or encourage guests to take them home.
See Reducing Food Waste at Home or take the Food Waste Quiz.
- Provide reusable plates, utensils, cups, and napkins.
If you can’t provide reusable ware, look for recycled or biodegradable products instead.
- Provide well-marked recycling and compost bins.
It’ll help divert waste into the correct stream and save you cleanup time.
- Pack food in reusable containers and bags.
When preparing dishes for the celebration, reduce waste and packaging by bringing your own reusable containers.
- Buy locally sourced meat and produce.
Support your local economy and reduce the number of miles your food has to travel.
- Walk, bike, bus, or carpool.
About 35.5 million people will travel by car to 4th of July parties. By choosing a more sustainable way to get there, you can save emissions and cut back on traffic.
Cheers to #MooreGreen in your life!